The start of a new year is the perfect time to set new goals and make positive changes in our lives. If you’re looking to be more energy efficient in the coming year, there are several simple steps you can take to reduce your energy consumption and save money on your monthly utility bills. We have listed our top 5 ways to be more energy efficient in 2023:
- Invest in energy-efficient appliances: Energy Star certified appliances are designed to use less energy than their non-certified counterparts, which can add up to significant savings over time. When shopping for appliances, look for the Energy Star label to ensure you’re making a cost-effective and environmentally-friendly choice. For a complete list of Energy Star certified appliances, check out the official list here.
- Turn off lights and electronics when they’re not in use: This can be as easy as unplugging chargers when they’re not being used, or using a smart power strip to turn off multiple devices at once. You can also consider using energy-efficient light bulbs; energy-efficient light bulbs, such as LED or CFL bulbs, use less energy and last longer than traditional incandescent bulbs. The EPA, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, estimates that energy-efficient light bulbs use 75% less energy and last up to 25 times longer than traditional incandescent bulbs. By switching to energy-efficient light bulbs, you can save money on replacement bulbs and reduce your energy usage.
- Invest in permanent solar power: Permanent solar panels are one of the most obvious ways to reduce your energy consumption and harness the power of the sun. By installing panels on your roof or yard, you can generate electricity for your home and potentially save money on your monthly energy bills. The Point Zero Energy Rigid Kits are complete solar kits from 500 watts to 4,000 watts and are ideal for permanent systems.
- Consider portable solar power options: If installing solar panels isn’t an option for you, or if you just want a way to use solar power on the go, consider portable solar power options such as portable solar panels or a portable solar generator. Portable solar panels and a portable generator are lightweight and flexible, making them easy to transport and set up. They can be used to charge electronic devices such as phones, laptops, and cameras, and are a great option for outdoor activities such as camping or hiking. These portable options allow you to harness the power of the sun on the go, whether you’re camping, hiking, or just need a backup power source for emergencies.
- Reduce your carbon footprint: Consider using public transportation, carpooling, or walking or biking instead of driving whenever possible. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, transportation accounts for the largest share of energy consumption in the United States, at 28% of total energy usage. By using public transportation, carpooling, or walking or biking instead of driving, you can reduce your energy usage and make a positive impact on the environment. These simple changes can have a big impact, and can also save you money on gas and car maintenance costs.
Overall, being more energy efficient is about making small changes in your daily habits that add up to a big impact. By following these tips, you can save money on your utility bills and do your part to help the environment. Happy New Year! 🥂